Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, and flowers of plants. They can be both beautifully and powerfully fragrant, eliciting profound emotional responses. Yet the use of essential oils goes well beyond their fragrant appeal. Used throughout history for their medicinal and therapeutic benefits, essential oils can be used as natural alternatives in holistic self-care practices. Their unique chemistry allows them to be used aromatically and applied topically to the skin, while other essential oils can be used as dietary aids to promote vitality and well being.
These are 10 Awesome Essential Oils Have at All Times!
1. Lavender: This versatile and popular oil is great for burns, restoring tissue, and soothing pain or blistering. It’s a sleep aid and a natural antihistamine.
2. Lemon: Put a drop or two in your water for a gentle detox. Lemon keeps your lymphatic system moving, excellent for sore throats in a teaspoon of honey or to gargle. It’s a great cleaner and can kill 99% of all bacteria.
3. Peppermint: Effective in treating headaches, cooling the body by reducing body temps by 2 to 3 degrees. Takes away heartburn, good for headaches and increases alertness in the brain.
4. Melaleuca: Great for acne, it’s antibacterial. Good for rashes, eczema, psoriasis, fungal infections and MRSA. Add to shampoo to control dandruff and on your chest for coughing. Very beneficial for ear infections, do not drip into ear canal! Banish fleas from your pets and their bedding.
5. Deep Blue: Reduces inflammation and relieves sore muscles, joints and back pain too.
6. Oregano: Nature’s strongest natural antibiotic. Great for fighting infection. This is a hot oil and must be diluted with a carrier oil when applying topically. Removes warts and skin tags.
7. On Guard: Strengthens immune system, disinfects home via diffusing, killing airborne pathogens (smells like Christmas!). Rub on feet for cold and flu prevention. Make On Guard tea with warm water, 1 teaspoon of honey and drop of On Guard. Rub on gums and teeth to reduce plaque and gum disease.
8. Breathe: Use this blend for respiratory infections, coughs or asthma symptoms, a natural inhaler. Rub it on your chest to help combat congestion. Rub on chest and under your nostrils to help open up airways and help with snoring. This is more than Vapor Rub, this essential oil blend will actually assist your body in fighting off infection!
9. DigestZen: A blend of essential oils that will work for any digestive disorder. Acid reflux, heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, IBS etc. Rub four drops of DigestZen on your stomach for all the above issues. Or take your drops with water (what I prefer). 70% of your immune function is in the GI, if your GI tract is compromised, you have a compromised immune system. Strengthen immunity with DigestZen.
10. Frankincense: This amazing essential oil contains sesquiterpenes, enabling it to go beyond the blood-brain barrier. It may help to oxygenate the pineal and pituitary glands. Studies have shown that Frankincense can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. This essential oil is the cornerstone of health.
Tips for Using Lemon Essential Oil
- Use 1–2 drops of lemon essential oil to remove gum, oil, grease spots, glue or adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces.
- Combine 2–3 drops of lemon essential oil with water in a spray bottle to help cleanse and sanitize surfaces.
- Place a drop of lemon essential oil on oily skin or blemishes to help balance oil glands and minimize oil production.
- Soothe corns, calluses, or bunions by rubbing lemon essential oil on the affected area morning and evening.
- Massage lemon essential oil into cellulite to help improve circulation and eliminate waste from cells.
- Add lemon essential oil to your morning tea or breakfast shake for a refreshing pick-me-up.
- Inhale lemon essential oil or place a few drops on a cotton ball to replenish your mind, body, and spirit.
- Add 10–15 drops of lemon essential oil to a gallon of carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains, brighten carpet and rugs, and leave a fresh smell in the room.
- Add several drops of lemon essential oil to a chicken marinade for a delicious dinner.
- Place a few drops of your favorite citrus essential oil on a cotton ball and put in the refrigerator to help eliminate odors.
How to Use
For dietary, aromatic or topical use. When using as a supplement, put one drop in a capsule or in 4 fl. oz. of soy or rice milk.