Repair Your Skin with Shea Butter
Shea Butter is a skin superfood that comes from the seeds of the fruit of the Shea (Karite) tree and that is naturally rich in vitamins A, E and F. It offers UV protection (it is SPF ~6) and provides the skin with essential fatty acids and the nutrients necessary for collagen production. Shea butter has been used in Africa and other countries for years to improve skin and hair.
Shea Butter has tremendous benefits for the skin and hair. It is one of the most versatile natural beauty ingredients. Used daily it can produce significant improvements to your overall appearance.
Moisturizing: The concentration of natural vitamins and fatty acids in Shea butter makes it incredibly nourishing and moisturizing for the skin. It is often used to remedy dry skin and to help protect the skin’s natural oils.
Reduces Inflammation: A 2010 study found that due to its cinnamic acid and other natural properties, shea butter was anti-inflammatory. (source) One compound in particular, lupeol cinnamate, was found to reduce skin inflammation and even potentially help avoid skin mutations. This also makes it beneficial for some people with acne.
Skin Smoothing: Shea butter aids in the skin’s natural collagen production and contains oleic, stearic, palmitic and linolenic acids that protect and nourish the skin to prevent drying. With long term use, many people report skin softening and strengthening as well as wrinkle reduction.
Shea Butter Uses
- By itself for face and body as a natural moisturizer
- In a shea butter lotion bar stick for easy use
- Alone or in a pregnancy stretch mark salve to ward off stretch marks
- As the best under-eye wrinkle remover and bag-reducer
- For massage butter
- In velvety soft whipped body butter
- or basic homemade lotion
- As a base for homemade deodorant
- As an SPF 6 skin lotion
- In magnesium body butter
- As a natural baby-care product (alone) or ingredient in baby care recipes
- By itself on the lips or in homemade lip balms
- Or homemade shimmer lip balm
- To improve skin elasticity (some even say it helps with cellulite)
- On the hair or scalp (in mixture with other natural ingredients)
- In homemade liquid creme foundation and makeup
- After sun or beach exposure to replenish skin
- On the eyelids before applying makeup to make it last longer
- As a natural cuticle cream
- On scars to naturally help collagen production
- On sore/raw noses during a cold or flu
Jamaican Delight Shea Butter
Jamaican Delight skin care products are made with refined shea butter that is odor free. Although the refining process removes some of the beneficial properties, Silhouette’s Essentials (essential oils) are infused in all of our skin care butters which enhances the benefits of the shea butter itself.
*Shea butter is for external use only. Ask a doc or dermatologist before using, especially with underlying skin conditions. Those with nut allergies should avoid or check with an allergist.